Sunday, September 15, 2013

My Mission Statement/ What Influence You? Pg. 146 Q1,2

What influences me... What a loaded question. I would have to say every thing. Yes, it is a really broad answer but I feel as if it is the best answer I can give. Some examples of things that influence me are general and some are specific. Gender for instance makes up a huge part of my personality and explains many of my learning preferences. For example, I live in an all girls house on campus, I am in a sorority, I am in a women's studies class (there is one boy out of 30 girls), and I feel as if I can express my feelings and passions of life with out being ridiculed by my friends and peers. If I were not female I would not be a part in any of these experiences and would not have the opportunity to learn of sub categories within each of these that are influential to me. My socioeconomic status has influenced my personality in many ways. Just as a background I grew up in a single parent household. We lived in a two bedroom apartment.  My mom worked all the time so I would often have to look after my sister and take her where she needed to be. I feel like I have become jaded to some members of the upper class just because I may not have had all of the luxuries that they did growing up. I feel like it negatively affected my personality in this way however I would not be who I am today with out those experiences. Overall, these are just a few examples of how my personality and preferences are shaped.

My personal mission statement is as follows:

To find happiness, meaning, and value in everything in life. I want to be an instrument of positive change for the world. I believe everyone is equal and that deserves to be known. Lastly, by surrounding my self with people who support me I will not compromise my dreams based on the disapproval and opinions of others.

My results for the Human metrics Jung Typology Test were in my eyes a pretty accurate description of my mission statement and my personal beliefs.

E- Extrovert (78%)
S- Sensing (25%)
F- Feeling(12%)
J- Judging(56%)

When I first received my results I was shocked at the percentage for judging. Once I read the description I came to realize that I was just one percent more than the average. I found it interesting many important leaders score up in to the 90's due to their execution and goal setting skills.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's really cool that you relate your gender to a big part of who you are. Considering that only a hundred years ago, women wouldn't have had any of these opportunities and then to look at someone like you who really is a positive representative of a woman who has gained their rights. It's also interesting to me because I've always had the problem of not being able to relate to other girls, and it's interesting to me that you find such comfort in your friends and the fact that they're all girls is awesome to me. I also like the fact that you aren't ashamed of your past and the fact that you maybe weren't raised as well off as others. I relate to this and I understand exactly what you mean. The fact that I grew up not really having much has put me at both and advantage and a disadvantage, but regardless it's made me who I am and I wouldn't ask for it any other way. I like the way you look at things and the fact that you can tell you know who you are. All in all, this was a really inspiring post and never let anybody waiver you're confidence, girl.(;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, first of all, I am in love with your personal mission statement! I can completely relate to it and I think all of the things you pointed out really show the type of person you are. I especially like your last sentence because I truthfully believe the people you are surrounded by influence what you want to accomplish. Having a loving and supporting network of friends and family truly makes all the difference in the world. Although I still do not know you that well, I think growing up in a single parent household and having to care for your sister has probably made you a more responsible and independent woman. Finally... who doesn't love the saying GIRLS RULE AND BOYS DROOL. Okay, I should probably grow up and find a cooler saying but girl power!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's really awesome that you're able to pin point something that you feel has negatively affected your personality. A lot of people aren't able to do that. I think that's a really big quality of a leader. I love how honest you are about your feelings toward the upper class. I can't even imagine having to take on such a big role by taking care of your sister. It says a lot about the person you are. And I LOVED your mission statement :)

    ReplyDelete